Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday's Rant: Target's new "generic" jewelry packaging


Most Tuesdays I take the opportunity to rant about something I do not like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. Today's rant is about a disturbing trend I've seen in the Target jewelry department. I don't mean the "nicer jewelry" - like the Dean Harris line - that is carried behind the glass counter. I mean the costume jewelry that is displayed on the wall racks. Now it used to be that these items were displayed by brand: Merona being a tad more "classic" in style, with Cherokee and Xhilaration trending more towards Juniors. But that seems to be changing. The "old style" jewelry packaging (shown) has disappeared from two of my area Targets, only to be replaced by generic silver-gray hangtabs with no printing at all on the front. You have to flip it over to see the price or see what the item is made of (and whether it's nickel-free). And there's no branding to speak of, outside of maybe stating "Target" on the back.

Now I don't know about you, but I'm not liking this trend. Perhaps the generic packaging is meant to save costs, but the whole thing screams "cheap" to me. [and yes: admittedly we do want our Target jewelry to be cheap, but not to look cheap]. Seriously, check it out at your local store and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When you get the chance stop by my blog and pick up your award ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate this too. Why not put the price sticker on the front, if nothing else?