Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday's Rant: broken merchandise on store shelves


Most Tuesdays I take the opportunity to rant about something I do not like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. Today's rant is about something that just happened to me the other day. The Felix-Rey line has all but disappeared from Target's store shelves, so I was tickled when I found the gold tote bag (pictured) in the clearance section (at 50% off). The bag looked great and seemed well-made... until upon further inspection, I discovered that one of the straps was actually broken, and only hanging on by a thread. [Basically one of the oversized gold "rivets" connecting the bag had popped off, rendering the bag un-fixable]. So this got me to thinking: did someone buy this bag, realize it was broken and return it, and then did Target put it BACK on the shelf, knowing full well it was damaged? Because this isn't the first time I've seem broken merchandise on the store floor. I've seen clothing that's clearly been worn put back on the racks, as well as vases and glasswear with chips and nicks. I guess Target thinks that if they discount it enough, someone might buy it. But I'd rather they trash the damaged goods, lest someone accidently buy it.

What about you, dear readers? Have you ever bought something at Target only to find that it's broken? Or avoided something on-shelf once you realized it was busted?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately yes!
I had to recently return an item there twice because of this--that lemon printer I bought to print my taxes on.
AND I couldn't return it using my charge card, and the box scan. I had to get the receipt from the trash for it. They said they couldn't scan it because the item was OUT of inventory. Yessh.
I've had good experiences with returns there too, but this one was UGLY. And I since it perhaps shouldn't have been sold in the 1st place.