Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Prabal's collection deemed a "smash hit" for Target...

According to Business Insider, the Prabal Gurung for Target collection almost sold out completely online in just one day, indicating that the era of designer collab may not be over all.

After disappointing sales on Target's multi-designer holiday collab, which the retailer launched in partnership Neiman Marcus, there was talk within the industry that the wildly successful high-low collaboration model had run it's course. "It's become very formulaic at this point," Mickey Boardman, editorial director of Paper magazine, had told the New York Post. "Everyone does them, and so they don't really seem as special. A sell-out collection from Gurung could be a shot in the arm the concept needs."

Business Insider speculates that it worked for two reasons. First, Gurung stayed true to his aesthetic, offering cheerful, youthful versions of the floral prints and patterns women have come to know and love in his high-end collection. And second, Target stayed true to their affordable pricing scheme with nearly offered for under $50.

Though many pieces of the Gurung collection did sell out quickly online, there are still a handful of dresses available on Target.com in larger sizes, and a quick spot check reveals that many of the shoes are still up for grabs. And as several of you have commented here on my blog, many stores are still well-stocked or have even replenished supplies in the last couple of days.

6 comments:

aBeautyFairy said...

While I agree this is a beautiful well executed line (I purchased 2 tops, 1 dress and 2 pairs of shoes) I don't think this is a smash hit. I keep reading it's sold out but it is readily available here in southeast MI except for a few key pieces (shorts, blazer, white/black lace blouse).

Judging from shopping forums, youtube hauls and blogger posts this collection is not nearly as popular as the Jason Wu collection.

floating thru fields said...

this is a nice line and bright and colorful true to his ready to wear line. I think this collection will do better overall because it's wearable, relate-able and trendy.......oh and in the price point :)

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tina said...

I really wanted to like it because there are so many pretty colors but nothing appealed to me. I think the Missoni line and the Kirna Zabete line are the only ones that I have bought multiple items.

Unknown said...

The line is awful, the online sell out is from people who bought based on pictures, wait until they get their items. There will be returns!
See my review on TheRecessionista.com

Music said...

I completely spaced this collab. I think it just struck me as very last season H&M - so I wasn't that excited to begin with...