Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Method Body Wash still missing from store shelves...

Back in February, I ranted about all my local Target stores being out of stock of Method Body Wash.  Something similar happened last year, and when I wrote to Method at that time, they quickly got back to me explaining they were working on new formulations and assured me that Target stores would be re-stocked soon (which they were).  But this time the "Method drought" has lasted 4 months, so I decided to write Method again to see what was up.

A customer service rep got back to me within 24 hours, telling me "don't worry, we're still making our body wash. we replaced the marine naturals line with our new pure naked line. it's available at most Targets (make sure to check the body wash section), Bed Bath & Beyond, and Kroger stores, or you can order it online at www.methodhome.com or www.soap.com".

I wrote her back reiterating that none of my local stores have carried the body wash - in the body wash section or anyplace else - since late January. She replied by repeating the  suggestion to try buying online at methodhome.com or soap.com instead.

The odd thing is that at several Target stores I've been to recently, there are actually "empty spaces" in the Body Wash section that are unfilled, as if there's a space for the Method bottles but no inventory to put there.  At this point, I'm giving up on finding it at Target, and will head over to BB&B instead.


9 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

Really? I've been buying body wash this entire time. At least at the Target I go to, it was moved next to the other Method soap products. Were you looking for a specific one? I usually buy the olive leaf one in the green bottle.

Target Addict said...

Queen E: where are you located? In Northern Calif? Because I've also looked in the section you mention (by the Method cleaning products) and it's not there, either.

Queen Elizabeth said...

I'm in SoCal, Murrieta to be exact.

Queen Elizabeth said...

It wasn't in the cleaning soap aisle, at my Target it was located where all of the hand and body soap was located. They put the Method hand soap and the body wash together. I'm not sure why they did this. :(

Target Addict said...

Queen: gotcha. Yes, I have looked in the same place - the cleaning soap aisle - but still no body wash in this area. As an aside: a friend of mine complained to me last week that the Sonia Kashuk section of our local stores was poorly stocked. I checked it out, and the store I visited actually had signs up that stated "more Sonia Kashuk products coming soon". It makes me think that my local stores might have a distribution problem - ?

Barbara said...

I was at 3 Target stores yesterday, (chasing a clearance lamp) and decided to look for the Method body wash after reading your post. Two had none, one a had a few, in the body wash aisle. This morning I was at another Super Target, and their section was totally filled. I took a photo it was so pretty. They also had some hand soap next to the body wash. I'm in Austin Tx.

I shop in 5 different Targets in this area, and they all have different things, and they all clearance like items at a different time. Sometimes I can spend an entire day "Targeting" if I am looking for something in particular. Ha

Music said...

Hey there! Late to the party on this one, but there are total discrepancies amongst four to five stores in the L.A. area regarding this product. Two stores don't have it all and never had it within the last year. Another one has had it but hasn't restocked in a couple months. I had only seen Olive Leaf and Magnolia at the two stores where I was finding it but hadn't seen White Tea (which I like) until a week ago when I found it (but no Olive Leaf) in a fifth store.

Confused? Yeah, me too. It's worse than Carmen San Diego.

Target Addict said...

Music and Barbara: thanks for weighing in about the stores in your area. As an aside: Target.com still isn't carrying any Method Body Wash, which I find interesting as they have sold it online in the past.

Target Addict said...

Readers: after doing some more digging, I may have found my answer. I did not realize that Method is no longer a privately-owned company. They were acquired for an undisclosed price several months ago by the Belgian company Ecover, creating what they claim is now the largest green cleaning company in the world, with revenue “north of $200 million.” So perhaps this "transition period" has contributed to Method's distribution issues - ?