Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Tuesday's Rant: Target's Silly "Basket" Displays

On Tuesdays I sometimes take the opportunity to rant about something I do not like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. I haven't done a 'rant' in long time, but I've been meaning to do this one for a while. 

Have you noticed these oversized store displays that look like giant shopping baskets? I have, and I think they're ridiculous. Not only do they look stupid, they also cheapen the store experience. Target seems to be using them to promote items on sale, and they're usually found awkwardly placed in main aisle in the Food & Beverage or Household Essentials sections. But instead of enticing me to buy, I avoid these displays like the plague. 

8 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Those and the new faux-wooden barrels full of produce in the centers of the main aisles are so annoying. This is actually a big change for Target. When worked there around 2004, it was against "brand" to have any kind of portable display blocking an aisle.

Christine said...

My Target has one of these giant baskets in cosmetics section filled with parchment paper....I was wondering WHY!?!

Ericka Autiegirl said...

YES. THIS.

zerodoll said...

I hate these basket displays, they are very much in the way, especially if the store is crowded, but even if it's not!

Critifur said...

LOL oh no, I must be the only person who thinks they are fun and clever, even if they do block the isles.

JCH said...

I’m not crazy about them, either. Having said that, featured placement products sell-through has been excellent from what I hear (and then factor in preferred pricing from the vendor, and in some cases, share-of-cost offsets). Pretty much a win-win from a retailer standpoint.

Unknown said...

Maybe it works for the preferred vendors/brands, hence works for Target HQ, but they forgot to ask team members, and who would care about them, right?

In our ghetto Target (yes, there is no better word to describe it, however PC one wants to be) those huge baskets are used by the mobs as trashcans (coffee cups, half-eaten bananas etc). Heard from some team members those baskets are pain-in-you-know-where as they have to clean it several times a day. Plus difficult to move pallets from the freezer to the fresh/produce section past those red beauties.

As of couple of weeks ago those baskets have been moved to the sides/diagonally, makes it easier to navigate.

bundled blessings said...

I love it...I really want one to put all my yarn in...I called target corporation and asked about it but they said they are not for sale...Darn !